Saturday, October 18, 2014

Today, Saturday October 18th, I decided to visit the Parc Monceau in the north of Paris.  Only one metro stop away is the Russian Cathedral Alexander Nevsky, named for a 13th century Russian Prince.  I've been reading a book in which Nevsky is featured, so I thought I'd visit. 


 The sign said "no photos," but since everyone else was taking them, I decided that I would support conformity in this instance, and took a couple of pictures discretely (I hope).



There has been a large Russian community in Paris since the Russian Revolution and the Cathedral is the center of that community.  I passed a couple of Russian restaurants too, so I think perhaps many Russians live in this area.

I walked from the church about a quarter of a mile to the entrance of Parc Monceau.  At the entrance is what remains of an old windmill which was used as a toll house for a time and is called that now.



Lunch!

There was a sweet little carousel with a cow to ride,  a horse with a real hair tail, and Captain Nemo's Nautilus.



The park is small--8 acres.  I don't think there is a place where you can't see one of the bordering boulevards, but somehow it's quite charming and restful.  Full of people today--you'd almost think there was no school or work today.  There are statues of writers and musicians throughout the park.  The one below is Guy de Maupassant.
 This lovely folly is beside a lake (man-made of course with a small island in the center).
 Apparently these are not the last roses of summer--there are too many of them!
 And another rose.
 A bride and groom and pony rides all in Parc Monceau today.
The park has a number of follies in the fashion of English gardens.



Autumn has come to the Park.


Can you see the children amidst the branches?

 A massive tree dominating this part of the park.

More roses.

The monument to Chopin overlooks a children's playground
.
 Can you see it in the distance?  The Arc de Triomphe.

I then went to the lovely Musée Nissim de Camondo.  I took dozens and dozens of pictures but I'll only show a few of them here.  If you haven't been to this museum, you must find time to go.  It's extraordinary!






 The Comondo family were bankers in Ottoman Empire.  Two brothers migrated to France to expand their business interests.  Moise (father of Nissim who was a pilot shot down in WWI) devoted his life to the collections of art and furniture in this house which he willed to the country of France.

He was survived by his second child Beatrice, who married and had two children:  Fanny and Bertrand.  Beatrice, her husband and the two children died in 1943.

I started out at a church and I ended the day at a church, the beautiful 19th century St. Augustin--one of the most lovely churches in Paris I think.

 Oops, mass is starting, I'd better slip out the back.


Tomorrow I take a boat trip to the Marne River and environs.  I won't be home 'til late so won't post the blog entry about it until Monday sometime.  In the meantime, adieu!

No comments:

Post a Comment