Saturday, October 11, 2014

On Friday, I explored some of the green spaces around my neighborhood--some that I hadn't explored in the past.  As you may know, I am located on the Rue du Moulin des Pres on the Butte Aux Cailles.
 And just a few hundred feet from my apartment is the lovely Square Paul Verlaine.  You've got to love a country that names public places for poets!

Just around the corner from this square was the first of the green spaces I explored, a tiny park perched on the side of the Butte,  with benches, beautiful greenery, and--perhaps--the last rose of summer.




 The last rose of summer?
I then walked down the Rue de Tolibac for a bit until I reached another small gem of green.
 An old man was feeding pigeons there but was too shy to let me photograph him (I always try to ask people and many say yes although just as many say no).  But I got a picture of the pigeons and a couple of shots of the park which while tiny was quite charming with little paths and gates.




Perhaps this is the last rose of summer.

My next stop was Parc Montsouris, which is technically in the 14th arrondissement, not the 13th, but it is literally within sight of the 13th, so I decided to call it my 'hood.

According to the official website of the Park, the name of the park came from an old windmill, called the Moulin de Moque-Souris, which in the 18th century stood not far from the park site at the crossroads of rue d'Alesia and rue de la Tomb-Issoire.  Moque-Souris ("mocks-the-mice") was a common name for windmills in France at the time; it was a facetious name, suggesting that the miller dared the mice to find any grain inside. The name over time changed from moque-souris to Montsouris. 

The park was part of the project by Napoleon III and Baron Haussmann to provide green spots all over Paris.  There is a lake, a cascade, wide sloping lawns, and many varieties of trees, shrubs and flowers. It is also home to a meteorology station, a cafe and a guignol  (puppet) theater. 




The Puppet Theater was not open when I was there, alas. . . perhaps I'll go again.
A sad statue--Death of a Lion.


 An addition to my collection (extensive!) of mushroom photos.

Then the highlight of my day:

 The gulls in the background are "fishing," and catching small carp.

 Hungry and not shy about it.
So beautiful!
On the way home I stopped at the lovely Parc de Choisy--only a 10 minute walk from my apartment and a little bit of heaven in the midst of the urban 13th.  There is a playground, some green expanses and a medicinal garden







And lest you think that all I do in Paris is walk around and look at trees and flowers and parks and swans--I did spend time this morning at the August Blanqui Market--a fabulous market that rivals the outstanding Richard Lenoir/Bastille Market.  I will spare you the pictures of fruits, vegetables, octopi, handbags, shoes and cutlery, but tell you I bought two kinds of cheese, a country pate´ with olives, some olives (!), some cauliflower, and a taste of Far Breton a traditional  a traditional cake/dessert from the Brittany region.   It's a flan-style eggs-and-milk custard with flour added.  And prunes!
Yummy.  Wish you were here!

Today I'm going to explore some of the coverd passages and hope to share some photos (and observations) of them in the next installment.  No parks today.  Promise!



6 comments:

  1. Les cygnets noire sont si beaux.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's always things to discover in their parks. Those black swans (cygnets) are cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a retired woman who will be traveling solo to Paris and staying for a month from mid-October to mid-November so am deriving extra enjoyment from your posts and photos! Merci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where will you stay when you are there? I have blogs from other stays (in the 4th, the 10th , the 12th, etc. I'll be there again next fall (2017) for 6 weeks.

      Delete
    2. I will be in Paris Oct. 17-Nov. 17,2016, staying in a small Marais apartment (in the 4th). How do I find your other blogs?

      Delete
    3. I have 3 other Paris blogs you may like. The last on the list is shorter--my wifi went down and I gave up!

      http://2014alwinabackinparis.blogspot.com/

      http://larentreeinparis2015.blogspot.com/

      http://ifaprilthenparis.blogspot.com/

      Delete