Monday, October 13, 2014

Sunday, October 12th, was a gray, dreary and somewhat rainy day, however the Auguste Blanqui market was full of bright colors and lots of cheerful people doing their shopping for the day orweek or next few days.  Or folks like me, doing a lot of looking.




 Sausage and sauerkraut--smelled delicious!
 These spices smelled amazing also--very tempting.

 I know I already have enough scarves, but these are so beautiful!
I stopped at a neighborhood bakery on the way home and got some wonderful bread to go with the cheese and paté I had purchased.
Then I was home for most of the day, reading and eating and reading some more. 

I've started a series by Maurice Druon, "The Accursed Kings," a half dozen books of historical fiction about the kings of France.  The first book ("The Iron King") is set in 1314. and Philip IV, the king of France, has disbanded the Knights Templar, arresting, torturing, and executing most of them.  Robert of Artois is a French lord whose lands have been taken from him by his greedy aunt and whose efforts to reclaim his birthright will lead to all-out war between France and England.

Then early in the evening I got dressed and went to meet Ellen Howland and her husband Chuck.  They are spending some time in Paris to celebrate Ellen's birthday.  She has been in France a week already in Bergerac studying French.   It's nice to meet up in person with Slow Travel friends.  We went to Les Temps des Cerises in the Marais and had a fabulous dinner!



I enjoyed our conversation and hope to see them again during their visit here.

Au revoir until Monday's adventure--a trip to the islands of Créteil.

No comments:

Post a Comment