Saturday, October 18, 2014

On Friday, October 17th, I set out for the Marais to meet Shelley, a New Yorker who visits Paris regularly and friend of mutual friends.  I think I've met her once before, but had no recollection of what she looked like.  We arranged to meet in the Place des Vosges; I told her I would come through the garden of the Hotel Sully and would be at that end and described what I would be wearing.

I got off at the Quai Rapée stop and walked to the Marais from there, past the Bassin de l'Arsenal, (note to self:  one more canal boat ride if they are still operating, this time to the Marne), and through
the rue St. Paul and the little Village St. Paul to the Hôtel de Sully.  The Hôtel was build in the mid-1600's by a financier (and gambler!) and then sold to the Duc de Sully, who was a minister and Superintendent of Fiances for Henri IV.  The location gave easy access to the Place Royale (which would become the Place des Vosges) and the king.   You can walk through the building and into a garden which has beautiful lilacs in spring time, and gives you a back-door access to the Place des Vosges. 




I found Shelley--or perhaps she found me--and we decided to go for a brief walk on the Promanade Plantée (which she had never visited) and then pick a place to eat.  It was a very brief walk--after only a few hundred meters we ran into a renovation in process, but we did see, what may be, the last rose of summer.  We shall see--I'll keep my eyes open!


The work on the promanade started as we passed Gare Lyon and Shelley suggested that we eat at Le Train Bleu.  I had never been there, so we climbed down and found our way to the Gare Lyon. 

What an amazing experience--it reminded one of every romantic novel I've ever read about trains and Paris and elegance.



Here us Shelley as we waited in the lounge (we didn't have a reservation) for a table to be available.
The plates.


The food.
Lobster Bisque with bacon and I'm not sure what else . . . heaven.
 Steak tartare, prepared by a very charming young man at our table.
 Seared foie gras de canard with figs.  Impossible to describe.

Well we had to have something to drink, right?
 

I would insert a picture of the dessert we shared here (hazelnut crumble with lightly sautéed fruit--cherries, figs, grapes- and-crème fraîche) but it was not on the table long enough to photograph!  We had an amazingly good café.  All in all, we spent three and a half hours talking and getting to know one another and making plans to see each other again--either in New York or France!  A new friend; a great day.

I walked home and took pictures of the Viaduct des Arts and other sights, but I'll leave you with just two pictures--one from Le Train Bleu and one from my walk.

This is a mural depicting a romantic Villefranche-sur-Mer where I'll be spending some time next spring.
And you all know this one I'll bet.

Adieu!

1 comment:

  1. The lobster bisque with bacon and the seared foie gras with figs looks outstanding.

    ReplyDelete