Saturday, November 8, 2014



Men playing boules on the Invalides esplanade

Yesterday, Friday November 7th, I took a walk in the 7th arrondissement.   I walked from Boulevard Raspail via Rue Saint-Dominique.   For several years (before I started renting apartments) this was my preferred location.  Other than an occasional visit to the Musée Rodin, I haven't spent much time here in the last 4 or 5 visits. 

My first stop was a little square I remembered near the Rodin, the Square d'Ajaccio.  I've only been there in spring and early summer so I was anxious to see what autumn brought to this little green space.

 Some things are still blooming.
 And some blooms have gone to seed.


If you look carefully, there in the background is the Eiffel Tower.  This is the only picture of it you'll see in today's posting though it dominates the neighborhood.



I left the park and wandered down a street by Napoleon's tomb.  But I didn't go in to visit him today--I'm a little bit of a history geek and have visited the tomb three times actually.



And I made my way to Rue Cler to see what was new and what was the same.

Well this is new!

 The flower shop is still there.

 Oh my.  This is new too.  Is Amorino taking over Paris?  Europe?  The world?  How do I feel about their quest for world domination?  Am I in favor or opposed?

 I was happy to see that the boulanger was still there.
And thst the Café Marché, a place I often had breakfast, sometimes had lunch and occasionally ate dinner, was still there as well.
So I ordered a lunch of penne with creamed truffle.  It was delicious.  This place is recommended by Rik Steves, Adrian Leeds and others, so it was not surprising to find other Americans there.  But overwhelmingly the clientele is people from the neighborhood.  Customers are greeted by name and with kisses and handshakes.  And the food is good.
Here is the Grand Hotel Leveque.  I stayed in a tiny single on the 5th floor with the toilet and shower down the hall.  The room was the size of a large dining room table perhaps.   But I was in Paris and I was deliriously happy.
Almost across the street is a marvelous fruit and vegetable seller.

And mushrooms--they must be in season!  I've never seen so many varieties in a small market.



I walked down Rue Grenelle toward the Invalides, past the Lutheran Church, St. Jean's, and out to another small park, the Square Santiago du Chili.


The park has a bust of Antoine Saint-Exupéry, author of Le Petit Prince, Wind, Sand and Stars, and Nightflight.

Then back to Rue Grenelle to enjoy the esplanade of the Invalides.


 No special effects--I promise.  The sky and the buildings really looked this way!
 A few moments later, it was all dull and gray.
What a gift to have so much green and beauty in the middle of a city!

I then continued on the Rue Grenelle until I reached the Boulevard Saint-Germain and took a bus home from there.

Today I have housekeeping and laundry to do, but tomorow--the Bastille Market, a walk up the Boulevard Richard Lenoir, a peek at the Canal St. Martin and then, perhaps, a stroll down the Faubourg Saint-Antoine. 

Au revoir!

1 comment:

  1. We always use to stay in the 7th arrondissement on Rue Grenelle. I am seeing a lot of familiar places :-)

    ReplyDelete